When it comes to e-commerce, time wasted is money lost. With the mutual goal of saving time, the Help Desk has been taking steps to ensure fair and timely assistance to AspDotNetStorefront customers.
When customers run into an issue with the software, there are steps to take that will result in a more efficient and effective means of resolving the problem.
Before jumping right into a support ticket, there are a few things to consider.
Primarily, is this even a Free Help Desk issue?
If it is a question of “How to” use the software, you will want to consult the online User’s Guide first , which contains the Knowledge Base, has links to the Forum and even a few Instructional Videos . The general FAQ can also be useful. This will often result in getting the answers you need much quicker than simply submitting a support ticket at the Free Help Desk. If you are still unclear about it, you can purchase Training with our Support Staff.
If the issue is an environmental issue, such as being unable to access the website and no software changes have recently occurred, then you will need to contact your server host to verify any changes that may be causing the problem.
Issues directly involving customizations or user modifications are also outside the Free Help Desk realm of assistance. You may need assistance from a developer for these kinds of issues. Any of our DevNet Partners should be able to help if you don’t already have a developer, and we also offer VORTX Developer Consultation Time which can cut down on your own development time.
The next step is to verify that your software is up to date. As of October 2012, the current Free Help Desk supported editions are ML8 (18.104.22.168/22.214.171.124) and MSx (126.96.36.199 through 188.8.131.52), so if you are using an older version prior to 8.x, you can purchase an upgrade through the AspDotNetStorefront website. If you are using an older version of 8.x, you can get the upgrade to ML8 on your ‘My Licenses’ web page. If you are using an older version of 9.x, you can get the upgrade to MSx in your ‘My Licenses’ web page. Update Rights allows you to move the license to any version through the current release. Every update contains fixes and enhancements, so there is a chance that your issue has been addressed. If you needed to update, retest for the issue again after you have successfully completed the update.
If your issue is looking like a problem with the software, then it’s time to prepare for a support ticket. Your next task will be to verify the validity of the issue. Attempt to reproduce the problem, and track the steps needed to reproduce it. Note any changes that were made since the time the site was functioning and when the error occurred. Sometimes seemingly inconsequential changes can have an effect on functionality.
If changes were made, reverse the changes and test for the issue again. If changes made were customizations or customer modifications to stock files, further assistance would require help from the Forum or developers. Note that if you are unsure if your customizations or modifications are causing the issue, you will need to test the problem on a stock (unmodified/uncustomized) install. If changes made were usual and acceptable software changes, then the issue may be a software bug. It may be a simple issue, so check the online User’s Guide , which contains the Knowledge Base, and a quick search through the Forum may yield an easy answer.
Do you still have an issue? NOW is the time to submit a support ticket at the Free Help Desk. Please have your information ready before starting the ticket.
You will need to know:
- The version of the software, to be selected from a drop-down list in the ticket. If an older ML8, please note the exact version in the message body (184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168).
- If you own source code, it is a good idea to mention the version you are using (VB or C#). You can enter this info in the customization description box in addition to your customizations, or in the message body.
- In the ‘Installation Details’ (These are secure fields: DO NOT enter in message body), you can add your FTP info if we need to access your files, and add Admin credentials and URL if we need to access your Admin site. This is very common for most issues. You can create a support Super Admin user for this instead of one of your existing accounts.
- We will need detailed information concerning the issue. Attach screenshots and images if helpful, and include the steps to reproduce the issue. If you have error messages available, Copy/Paste to a Notepad file or image capture them, then attach to the ticket. Check your Security Log for possible error messages, and add any information that will help narrow down our investigation.
- Also determine if the issue is a ‘LIVE SITE DOWN’ situation: If your site is offline or unable to take orders, then select the ‘LIVE SITE DOWN’ option in the General Information > Priority drop-down list in the ticket.
Once you have submitted the ticket, know what you can expect from the Free Help Desk support crew.
For legitimate ‘LIVE SITE DOWN’ tickets received before 3pm Pacific, you will receive a response within 2 hours. Tickets submitted after 3pm Pacific may not receive a response until the next business day. For ‘Normal’ tickets, response time may be up to 3 business days.
Tickets are responded to on a ‘first-in first-out’ basis. If a duplicate ticket is submitted, the older ticket will be kept and the newer ticket closed.
If you require quicker response time than the ‘Normal’ tickets that are not ‘LIVE SITE DOWN’, you can purchase ‘PRIORITY HELP DESK’. Note that if your site version is not a currently supported edition, we will be unable to assist you with issues regardless of the ticket priority. For purposes of compliance and functionality, it is VERY important that you maintain the current software. Service packs and upgrades may be found on your ‘My Licenses’ web page.
That’s all there is to it! If these recommended procedures are followed, we can all save time, effort, and of course money.